August 2, 2010
Dear Hayward Unified School District and Hayward Community:
On July 21, 2010, the Board of Education approved a calendar of 186 days. This included 180 student instructional days, 3 teacher work days, and 3 staff development days. The fiscal advisors rescinded the action based on the district’s fiscal recovery plan. The Board’s motion on the 186 day calendar stated that in the event that the fiscal advisors rescinded the Board’s action, the 180 day student instructional calendar would automatically be approved. The approval of the 180 instructional day calendar DOES NOT change the current HEA/HUSD bargaining agreement. Teachers are continuing to be paid for 186 work days and are required to report to work on the days specified in the collective bargaining agreement.
- Teachers are continuing to be paid for 186 work days.
- 180 instructional days have been approved by the Board of Education.
- 3 teacher workdays are identified in the collective bargaining agreement. Teachers are required to report to work on the teacher work days (the day before school starts, the day after school ends, a day during parent conferences for elementary, and a day at the end of the first semester for secondary).
- The dates for the 3 staff development days have not been agreed upon. There are no staff development days identified at this time.
- Negotiations are continuing and may impact the calendar.